How To Raise An Issue With Us…

We hope that you and your child will enjoy your experience at our school.  However from time to time you may have concerns you wish to raise with us or feel that you need to make a formal complaint.

Comments and Concerns.

We encourage you to approach your child’s Class Teacher with any concerns about their experience or progress in the classroom.  If there is something you are not happy about, or you don’t understand why we are doing something in a particular way, please come in and discuss it with the Class Teacher or other appropriate member of staff, such as special (educational) needs and disability coordinator (SENDCo).  We know that it can feel uncomfortable to question or challenge but we ask that you be open with us so that we can explain situations or put matters right.   Most issues can be resolved quickly and without stress once the teacher is aware of the bigger picture – please approach them as soon as you can if you have any questions at all.  They will be more than happy to find a time to meet you and discuss any issues.

If, after speaking with your Class Teacher, you feel that you wish to pursue matters further or if you have concerns about wider school matters, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Thomas.  You can make an appointment in person, or by telephone if easier, so that you can discuss your concerns.  Alternatively you can write to us or email with any questions.

We hope that we can resolve your concerns, but sometimes this is not possible in which case please see below for details on how to make a formal complaint.

How to Make a Formal Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the response from the school you can make a formal complaint.  We will ask you to fill in a complaint form, which is available from the School Office.  You may also submit a covering letter providing details of the situation.  The form should be sent to the Chair of Governors; the School Administrator will be able to provide you with details and they are also available on the Governor pages of the website.

The Chair of Governors will arrange for your complaint to be investigated and considered.   We promise to review your complaint honestly, politely and in confidence.  Your concerns will be reviewed thoroughly and fairly and we will keep you up to date with progress.   You will receive a formal reply within 10 working days of receipt of the complaint.  This will tell you what has been reviewed and what will happen next as well as the outcome of your complaint.

Most complaints are the responsibility of the Governing Body.  However a small number of complaints cannot be resolved through this process.  In the case of complaints about Special Educational Needs, the National Curriculum or Collective Worship you can complain further to the Local Education Authority.  This should be done in writing to the Head of the Concilliation and Appeals Unit at the following address:  Children and Young People’s Services, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, Devon, EX2 4QD (tel.  0845 155 1019).

You can also seek advice from Family Lives (formerly Parent Line Plus)  Click here for their website and contact details.

To download a copy of our full Complaints Policy, including details about mediation processes and appeals to complaint decisions, please Click here