Thanks Miss Hill and Mrs Rinvolucri… and thanks to everyone who came to our ‘Mastery in Maths’ evening…
Everyone can be good at maths.
Encouraging a Growth Mindset in maths…
- Praise effort not achievement.
- Promote challenge and see mistakes as valuable.
Easy = a waste of time!
- Remove fixed ability messages in class
What does a Mastery Curriculum look like in the classroom?
- Lots of talking about the maths
- Children getting different explanations – not just the teacher’s
- Using equipment and pictures to explain their ideas
- Children confident enough to continue to ask for
- clarification – however long it takes!
- Deeper understanding using the hexagon model
- Low threshold/high ceiling tasks which involve challenge
- Mistakes and struggle become a part of learning
- More ways to succeed in maths – more children feel successful