Georgeham’s intrepid cross country runners braved wind, cold and some pretty muddy ditches at Northam Burrows last Sunday for the first Gliddon and Squire Cross Country meet of 2019. Our runners are brilliant – smiling and supporting each other all the way over what was a fast but tough course. With only one meet left until the final scores are counted our teams are holding their positions strong – final results are based upon the best 5 scores out of the 6 meets, with team and individual awards available and medals for any runners who complete at least 5 races.

The Girls Under 9 team have held a steady 11th position, with a top 10 finish a real possibility if all goes well at West Buckland next month. The Boys Under 9 are moving up the rankings after only 3 events as a full team and the Boys Under 11 continue their march up the table – moving into 8th position. Three runners are needed in each category for the result to count as a team – special mention to Fin Cole for stepping in to ensure the Under 11’s had a team of three and pulling off an amazing result, finishing 8th in a field of well over 50!

Here’s the race report in the words of the runners themselves…

Archie: I liked that the course was fast and flat and really fun. My top tip is to pace yourself as much as you can and to do your best. Team Georgeham did very well today and hopefully we can extend our team for the next one.

Harry: I liked the fact that it was flat and not too long. The pace was really fast. My top tip to beat your nerves is to take deep breaths and keep your arms quite high up whilst running. I think Team Georgeham are doing really well, especially in this event, but we’re pretty good so far, and by that I mean there is one more race to do.

Kitty: I couldn’t stop smiling and laughing all the way round even though one of my shoes came off when I ran through the first trench and my socks were soaking and smelly after the muddy trenches I ran through. But I definitely want to do it again.

Sam: Don’t eat 4 hot cross buns before you start…carb loading gives you the stitch! It’s painful when you have a stitch but fun when you’re done!

Elsie: It was fun, muddy and I enjoyed it. I definitely want to do it again.

Chloe: It was wet and muddy but really fun. My favourite course so far was Kingsley.

Elfini: It was a fun course and I liked going through the mud. But I got a bad stitch and I was very hungry at the end.